After reading some of my FB friends on the Disney Princess Half Marathon site tell their tale, I decided to help keep myself accountable by creating a blog that will help push me towards my goals. In 2012 I would like to achieve the RunDisney Bi-Coastal Medal. Now never having completed any sort of run except a 5K before I question my sanity. Back in May I started jogging once or twice a week. My cousin has run the Disney Princess Half several times and I was always in awe and a little jealous of her. So this year I decided I was going to do it to. Being a procrastinator I told my friend Diane from college (she is a true marathon runner) and in doing so I knew she would support me. Not only did Diane support me she told me she would run it as well. So the bait was taken. I committed to Diane to do this race as she was coming from California to support me. Then I hit the internet to find the best training plan for me.
Search engine upon search engine kept leading me back to what my husband had already suggested.... Jeff Galloway's walk/run program. Now of course I thought "true" runners don't do that they just go out there and run. Well I have proven my husband right and myself wrong. The Jeff Galloway method has surely gotten me on my way. I have tried to rope a few of my local friends into running with me as well, but so far no takers. (Thank God for Diane!) Through the summer heat I continued to train 2 days a week and knew once the NC Humidity started to dissipate and of course both of my children going off to college (yay time for me) I would get serious.
Well now I am serious last weekend I completed a 5 mile run and this Sunday I am running a 10K. Now the "evil stepmother" thoughts are getting to me. Will I get put off the course by a sweeper? Can I actually do this? I am truly lucky to have such a supportive husband as he tells me yes I can. In the process of training I have dropped quite a few pounds. That certainly makes running a lot easier.
So I'll finish today by saying that I definitely have the running bug, I have even experienced "mile" depression. I love reading other blogs about people like me, getting their tips about clothing, accessories, shoes, inspirational thoughts etc.
Can't wait to get my glass slipper at that finish line!
If you have already done 5 mile and planning to do six soon. you will have no problem doing 13 in a few months. Stop worrying about the sweepers and just keep moving, you'll do fine.
ReplyDeleteI love the title of your blog! I was actually looking into this one to do maybe next year. You will do great :)
ReplyDeleteyou are going to ROCK THIS RACE!!!! And I will be there to celebrate with you! Do not psych your self out - running is 90% mental. You will not even see those sweepers. And besides, you will always be looking ahead ... to the finish. You are undoubtedly going to get that medal ... and maybe even a glass slipper <3 luv ya! keep up the FANTASTIC work!!!! xoxo
ReplyDelete