Sunday, November 20, 2011

November 20, 2011

     I did it!  I ran a 10K today.  The race was not what I expected.  There were only 50 runners and they were all "runners." The first to finish ran a 6:19 minute mile.  Wow, I was impressed.  I came in 2nd to last and ran it in 1:24:54 which is a 13:40 minute mile.  I stayed true to my Jeff Galloway method but I really did feel bad for the college kids who were at each turn as they had to wait on me.  Honestly I think I did great, especially since there was NO ONE around me the entire time, I was totally on my own.  
     When I got to Greenville, NC which is a 60 minute drive I went to Omega Sports and bought myself Zensah calf compression sleeves for after the race, and a few gu's for when I was feeling I needed a pick me up along the way.  What suggestions does anyone have instead of Gu's?  I did not like them at all, they were really heavy.  I did use one around mile 5 and I felt it helped get me to the end.  I'm just glad I have 99 days until the real race, this way I can continue to train and use today as a stepping stone.
     I used my husbands Garmin 305 today so that I could see each mile.  My heart rate for a majority of the time was higher than I would have liked it, but at all time I could sing along with my music.   Any advice on HR would also be greatly appreciated.
     So I am calling today a great day.  I had fun while I was running, I got to see an old friend after the race, and now I'm home.  Time to soak in the bath and get ready for the Holiday Week.  Thursday is a 5K Turkey Trot, which should be a piece of cake after today.
     Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment